Rasbian is the operating system of choice for beginners. It is based on a popular Linux distribution called Debian and was specially designed for the Raspberry Pi. Raspbian contains a lot of pre-installed programs that will help get you up and running and features a nice GUI. It runs LXDE (Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment) as the desktop environment, and Openbox as the window manager. It can be installed using NOOBS, the recommended install manager for the Raspberry Pi. Here is how you can do that:
1. Download the NOOBS from here.
2. Extract the zip file to a folder of your choice and transfer the files to your SD card:
3. Place the SD card in your Raspberry Pi. Connect the USB keyboard and the USB mouse. Use the HDMI port to connect your monitor.
4. Finally, power on your device by connecting it to the power outlet or the USB port on your PC. The NOOBS installer should start. Tick the checkbox next to Raspbian and click the Install button. The installation procedure should start:
5. When the install process is completed, the Raspberry Pi configuration menu (raspi-config) will load. To start Raspbian, select Finish: