Remove VMFS datastore
You can remove a VMFS datastore from your ESXi host in two ways:
- delete a VMFS datastore – destroys the pointers to the files on the datastore, so that the files disappear from all ESXi hosts that have access to the datastore.
- unmount a VMFS datastore – preserves the files on the datastore, but makes the datastore inaccessible to the ESXi host.
Before deleting or unmounting a VMFS datastore, make sure that all virtual machines whose disks reside on the datastore are powered off. Before unmounting a VMFS datastore, make sure that the following prerequisites are met:
- no virtual machines reside on the datastore.
- the datastore is not part of a datastore cluster.
- storage I/O control is disabled.
- the datastore is not used for HA heartbeat or Storage DRS.