VMware Tools is a free set of drivers and utilities that enhances the performance of the virtual machine’s guest operating systems and improves management of virtual machines in VMware Player. Although Tools is not installed by default and not required for the guest OS functionality, VMware strongly recommends installing it in all your virtual machines.
VMware Tools offers the following benefits:
- enhanced and faster graphics
- improved mouse performance
- time synchronization with the host operating system
- the ability to shut down or restart a virtual machine
- the ability to copy and paste between the guest OS and the host OS
VMware Tools is available for a number of guest operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD, and NetWare. The installers for VMware Tools are ISO files. The most recent versions of the ISO image files are stored on a VMware web site. When you start a VMware Tools installation, VMware Player downloads the file and the installation is started. The virtual machine’s first virtual CD-ROM drive temporarily connects to the VMware Tools ISO file for the guest OS.