SQL is language used for generating, querying, updating and manipulating relational databases. It is the most widely used database language. Whether you are an application developer, database administrator, web application designer, mobile or web developer good working knowledge of SQL is an important part of interacting with databases.
What is SQL?
- SQL stands for Structured Query Language
- SQL is a language used to access and manipulate data in databases
- SQL is an ANSI (American National Standards Institute) standard
What can SQL do?
- SQL can execute queries
- SQL can retrieve data from a database
- SQL can insert, update, or delete records in a database
- SQL can create and drop tables and databases
- SQL can create stored procedures in a database
- SQL can create views in a database
- SQL can set permissions on tables, procedures, and views
What is RDBMS?
- Short for Relational DataBase Management System
- Relational database management systems, developed by IBM, are vital to many organizations. They are databases organized through the use of tables or files that are linked to each other. A good example of a RDBMS is Microsoft SQL or MySQL.